Anton Du Beke: I’ve no sympathy for Strictly’s Seann and Katya
BBC bosses may have decided it’s OK for straying Strictly pair Seann Walsh and Katya Jones to carry on with the show — but fellow pro dancer Anton Du Beke is far from impressed with their behaviour.
The cheating pair were caught out in snaps taken last week that showed married Katya and Seann — who was in a long-term relationship at the time, though now dumped — engaging in a passionate kiss.
But Anton, who was the first professional to get the boot from this year’s contest with his dance partner What Not To Wear’s Susannah Constantine, said he was ‘disappointed’ by their drunken antics.
Seann and Katya have both issued apologies for the ‘huge mistake’ and Katya, at least, has said she is now focusing in the job in hand and her marriage to fellow dancer Neil Jones.
But speaking on RTE Radio 1 yesterday, Anton had little time for their apologies.
Asked if he had any sympathy, he said: ‘Not really. I’ll tell you one thing, I’m a bit disappointed.’
He added: ‘I don’t know how they’re going to resolve it in their relationships but it’s their business and they must do that.
‘I am disappointed on many levels… Listen, don’t drink if that’s what happens. Stop.’
His words echo those of former Strictly contestant Ore Oduba, who earlier this week expressed his disapointment that Seann and Katya’s fling had taken focus away from the dancing.
‘I just want the show to get back to people watching the dancing, it’s a shame it goes away from what everybody loved about the show,’ he said.
To be fair to them, Seann and Katya appear to be doing just that in a rehearsl clip that was revealed on yesterday’s spin-off show It Takes Two.
In the footage, the pair are performing a jaunty Charleston — a far cry from their more sultry routines.
It has also been reported that this Saturday’s dance was ‘toned down’ in the wake of their drunken kiss, with Katya to wear in a less revealing costume and Seann instructed to look ‘as sombre as possible’.
Author: Anna Thomson