Bake Off is back… with a taste for the same recipe
PAUL HOLLYWOOD has told viewers they will realise ‘within minutes’ of the first episode that the new Great British Bake Off stays faithful to the recipe.
As this year’s contestants were revealed to include a health and safety inspector and a woman originally from Siberia, Hollywood was quick to reassure fans that moving to Channel 4 has not changed the show.
‘I’ve seen the first programme, you’ll not know the difference within 10 minutes,’ Hollywood said. ‘The first thing I said was “Bake Off’s back” as soon as I watched it.’ The cookery programme was sold last year to Channel 4 after being with the BBC since 2010.
Judge Mary Berry and presenters Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins bowed out, leaving Hollywood, 51, as the only original star. He will be joined by judge Prue Leith and presenters Sandi Toksvig, 59, and Noel Fielding, 44.
The first episode next Tuesday at 8pm will feature the oldest ever contestant — a 71-year-old pensioner called Flo — and a software developer who has had cancer. Also competing are a molecular biologist, a student known as ‘Cake Boy’ and Sophie, 33, a former officer in the Royal Artillery.
Fielding has vowed the series will be as ‘filthy as ever’ and he is true to his word in the first show. A wannabe tries to fashion a champagne bottle neck out of icing and Fielding makes a below-the-belt comparison.
Also in the opener, a contestant has to twice bin their mixture.
Both Hollywood and Leith said there are no hard feelings between the new line-up and baking queen Berry, 81.
Leith, 77, said: ‘I’m in touch with Mary. She told me to watch out for Paul Hollywood [laughs].’
Fielding joked about matching the show’s monster BBC ratings: ‘If we can get five people watching it… between five and 17million.’
Author: Tom Stichbury