Gerard Butler: I was hospitalised after injecting 23 bee stings
BEE warned — performing your own stunts then using unconventional pain relief may give you the wrong kind of buzz, as Geostorm star Gerard Butler recently found out.
The Scottish actor has revealed that he ended up in hospital after misusing a natural bee sting remedy to ease the pain of working on wires while wearing a 65lb spacesuit for his new sci-fi thriller.
Since the role was pretty gruelling, someone recommended taking the venom as an anti-inflammatory — rather you than us, Gerard — but the trouble came when he wildly over-estimated the dosage.
As he expained to presenter Graham Norton: ‘I was injected with 23 bee stings. My arms swelled up, I went into anaphylactic shock and was hospitalised.
‘It turns out you’re meant to have one bee sting per week!’
And this isn’t the only time the buff 300 actor has harmed himself recently… Just two weeks ago, he also had a ‘hefty’ motorbike crash.
‘A woman went from being parked to doing a U-turn and hit me. I did a somersault about 30ft in the air,’ he said.
But instead of lying still and groaning like any normal person, gutsy Gerard ‘jumped straight up’… before realising that he’d ‘done something bad’.
‘I broke my ankle and damaged my knee,’ he said. ‘It was pretty hefty.’
Gerard was joined on Graham’s couch by actor Jeff Goldblum, comedian Jack Whitehall, US politician Hillary Clinton and musician Gregory Porter.
Goldblum, horrified at Gerard’s revelations said: ‘I’ve done some cockamamie things in my time, but that is crazy.’
The Graham Norton Show airs at 10.35pm on BBC One tonight
Author: Anna Thomson