Don’t Be a Beach: Things to Explore in Cancun that are Not Beach Related
There are millions of tourists that flock to Cancun, Mexico to soak up on the sand, ride some waves, and feel the powdery white sand in between their toes. However, the beach isn’t the only destination that you must stick around for in Cancun.
This place is a biodiverse haven with an extremely rich culture and a lot of historical landmarks that will take you back in time. There are so many things to do and see in Cancun, so don’t spend all your time in a beach resort. It is time go get your butt moving to check out these destinations and activities:
Visit Chichen Itza
This is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. That should be enough to convince you to take a side trip to this heritage destination that is unlike no other. Call City Cancun Car Rental to take you to this ancient Mayan site. It was once one of the largest cities and economic giants in the region. It is also known for being an intriguing mythical city of Mesoamerica.
Chichen Itza is home to so many ancient buildings like the Great Ball Court, El Castillo (the Castle), The Temple of Warriors, and El Carcol (an ancient observatory site). El Castillo is one of the most popular buildings, also known as the Temple of Kukulkan. This pays homage to snake deity, which is a symbol of divinity in the Yucatan. Take lots of pictures in this memorable destination. If you time your visit during the Spring and Summer Equinox, you might see the massive shadow that is an exact replica of a slithering snake.
Explore Ancient Tulum
If you want to explore more ancient sites, then you can take the Cancun to Tulum Shuttle by eTransfers. This was once a walled port city, which was protected from invasion and continued its normal operations for 70 more years even after the Spanish Conquest arrived in Mexico. Furthermore, this is also one of the largest cities built by the Mayans.
Tulum sits on the cliff-side, so you will get breathtaking views of the incredible beaches and the pristine blue waters. Explore the ancient sites of Tulum, eat the unique authentic food, chat with the locals, and take a dip in the sea. Tulum is a must-see destination in the Playa del Carmen area.
Check Out Downtown Cancun
Take a break from the hotel and resort strip by heading to downtown Cancun where there are a plethora of activities and restaurants to keep you busy and entertained. Being in the downtown area means rubbing elbows with the locals and getting a glimpse of their normal way of life.
If you are shopping for souvenirs, this is the place to be. Head off to Mercado 28, which means Market 28. this is a flea-market style shopping area where there is an abundance of quality handmade products, interesting pottery, unique shirts, and other kitschy souvenirs. You must bargain with the shop owners to find a truly great deal.
Do Other Interesting Activities
Lazing around by the beach sipping a coconut is not the only thing you can do in Cancun. Although it sure is nice to relax and enjoy the ocean breeze, there are other things to do when you become bored of just lazing around doing nothing. Here’s a list of interesting activities:
- Go swimming in an underground river. Many underground rivers flow around the Yucatan Peninsula so check those out.
- Explore cenotes or underground caverns. Some of them have crystal pools where you can take a dip.
- Take a catamaran cruise around the area. You can even take a dinner cruise to enjoy the sunset.
- Find time to snorkel because Cancun has the best reefs and corals. In fact, Cancun is home to the Great Mayan Reef. Punta Nizuc is a good place to check out for their aquatic life and underwater structures.
- Daredevils must go zip lining. Head off to Zelvtica, which is an adventure theme park. They offer four amazing zip line activities in one package. They offer ten different zip line courses, and their Extreme Canopy and Tarazania Zip Lines will undoubtedly give you an adrenaline rush.
- Check out stand up paddleboarding because it is easy enough to learn. The best part, lessons, and paddleboard rentals are cheap here in Cancun.
- Spend a night out in town. Check out the Forum by the Sea, which is a massive area that has a lot of shops, restos, and great clubs. The Congo Bongo is a popular choice for those who want to watch a show and shake their booties to disco music.
As you can see, just because Cancun is a popular beach destination doesn’t mean you have to be stuck on the beach all day. There are actually many more things that you can see and do in Cancun. Remember, visiting a new country means learning about their culture, so you have to venture out of the sand in order to truly grasp what Cancun is all about.